Thursday, April 5, 2012

Old Friends

The funeral home is a terrible place to visit because it always means that someone has lost a loved one. However, for me and probably many others, it means you will see people that you haven't seen in a long time. Thus was the case this week. A high school friend of my husband's and mine passed away last Friday. He married a sister of one of my oldest friends, known since she was born a year and 22 days after me. I found out about the passing when I went into work on Monday morning. I knew that if I went to the funeral home that morning, my oldest friend would probably be there. Sure enough, when I got out of my car and began to look for out-of-state tags, her van was right up front of the line of mourners. She hadn't changed. Oh yes, she had aged just like me, but I recognized her immediately, even after more than 30 years of our last face-to-face visit. The joy of seeing old friends, especially when you see the look of recognition in their face is undescribable. I wouldn't trade it for anything. We hugged and the years just rolled away. She looked absolutely beautiful. Age had not hurt her, even though she and I are now grandmothers, she still looked like my childhood friend. Her dad was also there and began to tell of the antics of my friend and me as little tikes. We laughed and laughed, even though we were in a place of such sorrow. Isn't God good? This week is Easter and our high school friend is with Jesus who died for us so we could have eternal life. God allows joy even in time of sorrow. To see old friends helps ease the pain of losing a loved one. God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment